What is infrastructure in IT? What does it do for a business? And what are the benefits of infrastructure in your IT department? In this post, we'll answer these questions and more.
Let's start with a definition of IT infrastructure.
IT infrastructure consists of all components that play a role in overall IT and IT-enabled operations. It can be used for internal business operations or developing customer IT or business solutions.
Typically, a standard IT infrastructure consists of these components:
- Hardware: Servers, computers, data centres, switches, hubs and routers, other equipment
- Software: Enterprise resource planning (ERP), customer relationship management (CRM), productivity applications, other software applications
- Network: Network enablement, internet connectivity, firewall and security
- People: Users (for example, network administrators), developers, designers, and end users with access to IT appliances or services.
So, what does this mean for your business?
Well, a business should have the above components in their strategy. Doing so helps the business conduct crucial operations and could have an impact on sales and revenue. As your company grows, so do the needs of customers and employees.
Also, when growing there are issues with security, connectivity, and productivity that are becoming questioned more. Strategic infrastructure is vital and a competitive advantage. Investments in hardware, software, network, and people to manage it all can make a huge difference.
Engaging in IT infrastructure means that you will take control of the company's IT environment and experience.
Taking control is critical - and here are the reasons why:
- Making smarter IT decisions
- Limit disasters
- Improve experience for users
- Keep productivity going
- Reduce costs
How do you design an IT infrastructure that suits your small business?
- Focus on critical business requirements
- Assess the server to workstation ratio
- Ensure network speed
- Rightsized infrastructure
Finally, what are the benefits to IT Infrastructure?
- Reduced costs for acquisition
- Scalable and future-ready infrastructure
- Easier and faster deployment
- Streamlined IT management
- Efficient communication and resolution of problems
- Simplified decision making (from data insights)
- Improved productivity
- Reduce downtime
- Better services for clients
Have any questions? Feel free to use the section below!
Want to learn more about infrastructure services? Click below.
HTL. (2017). Six Benefits of IT Infrastructure Standardisation in the Enterprise. Retrieved August 15, 2019 from, https://www.htl.london/blog/6-benefits-of-it-infrastructure-standardisation
NordicBackup. (2017). The Importance of IT Infrastructure Management. Retrieved August 15, 2019 from, https://nordic-backup.com/blog/it-infrastructure-management-importance/
Techopedia. (2019). What is IT Infrastructure? Retrieved August 15, 2019 from, https://www.techopedia.com/definition/29199/it-infrastructure
WhiteOwl. (2018). How to design an IT infrastructure that suits your small business. Retrieved August 15, 2019 from, https://www.gowhiteowl.com/blog/design-infrastructure-suits-small-business/